West 16th Avenue between SW Marine Drive and Wesbrook Mall
The improvements to West 16th Avenue will be phased in following the following approximate schedule:
- April 2013: Launch of Walk’n Roll Safe Walk to School routes program.
- April 2013: Provide Ministry with locations for pedestrian crossing lights at Wesbrook Mall and West 16th Ave. roundabout.
- April / May 2013: Install speed detection devices on the approaches to the Wesbrook Mall and West 16th Ave. roundabout.
- April 2013: Start construction of East Mall roundabout and 16th Ave. improvements.
- May to June 2013: Install tactile mats, and 30 km/h speed limit signs.
- April to August 2013: Throughout construction, there will be changes to lane configurations on each approach to the East Mall intersection, but a traffic management plan has been developed to maintain pedestrian and cyclist movement and safety. As construction progresses and lanes are re-opened to traffic, install regulatory signage (including school zone signs) and pavement markings.
- Week of August 26th: The final stages of construction will be completed during this week including landscaping, pavement markings, electrical work and other small project pieces only resulting in minor traffic impacts.
- September 2013: Substantial completion of East Mall roundabout, mid-block crossing, and other 16th Ave. improvements.
- October 2013: Installation of rapid flashing beacons at pedestrian crossings at the East Mall and Wesbrook Mall roundabouts. The pedestrian signage and pavement markings will already be in place only the electrical component will be installed in October.
- Future Planning: Further traffic safety measures east of Wesbrook Mall.
The following is a summary of the safety enhancements that will be made on the 16th Avenue corridor from SW Marine Drive to Wesbrook Mall.:
- Addition of a mid block crossing with pedestrian activated overhead amber flashing lights between East Mall and Wesbrook Mall that connects with the multi-use pathway through Thunderbird Park.
- Addition of sidewalks and bike lanes on the north and side south of 16th Avenue between East Mall and Wesbrook Mall.
- Reduced speeds between Hampton Place and SW Marine Drive to achieve a consistent 50 kph speed limit on this corridor.
- Bus stops and shelters on the north and south side of 16th Avenue close to the mid-block crossing.
- Straightening of 16th Avenue between Wesbrook Mall and East Mall to improve sight-lines and visibility.
- Enhanced lighting above the minimum requirements at the mid block and along the corridor.
- Conversion of a signalized intersection at East Mall to a roundabout.
The following additional safety enhancements are also being incorporated into the corridor improvements in response to community concerns about pedestrian and cyclists safety:
- Placement of school zone signs along West 16th Avenue between Wesbrook Mall and East Mall and adjacent to U-Hill Secondary School (above left).
- Introduction of 30 km/hr advisory speed limit signs approaching the roundabout at Wesbrook Mall and the new roundabout at East Mall (above middle).
- At the mid-block crossing, the addition of an audible message notifying pedestrians when the overhead amber lights are flashing (above right).
- Addition of flashing orange lights with pedestrian crossing signage (rectangular rapid flash beacons) at the East Mall and Wesbrook Mall roundabouts to signal to drivers when pedestrians are in the crosswalk (below). UBC has requested installation of these lights at the wesbrook mall roundabout as soon as possible; however the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure must conduct an electrical design process prior to installation, which will delay installation until end of August 2013.
- Addition of tactile mats at the Wesbrook and East Mall roundabouts to improve safety of the crosswalks.
- Lighting of the corridor between Wesbrook Mall and East Mall which is above the minimum standards required by the Ministry in order to further enhance pedestrian and bicyclist visibility.
- UBC is investigating installation, of speed detection devices to be placed at the Wesbrook roundabout as soon as possible in order to alert drivers if they are traveling above the posted speed limit.
- UBC will be discussing initiation of a crossing guard program with the PAC.
Construction on 16th Avenue for the East Mall roundabout began in April 2013and is nearly complete. The project is in its final stage of construction with only landscaping, pavement markings, electrical work and other small project pieces to be done. This remaining work will be completed with only minor traffic disruptions, such as single lane closures. However, as there will be workers on or adjacent to the travel lanes drivers are reminded to reduce speeds and use caution though the area. The image below represents the movements permitted along the corridor during this last phase of construction.
PHASE 4 – August 26th to August 30th: During this phase landscaping work, pavement marking, electrical work and other final project pieces will be completed with only minor disruptions, such as single lane closures, to local traffic. However, as there will be workers on or adjacent to the travel lanes drivers are reminded to reduce speeds and use caution though the area.
- Ministry of Transportation
- University Neighbourhoods Association (UNA)
Manager, Development Services