The new Athletics Centre of Excellence becomes a centralized anchor for the Spectator Hub and offers opportunities for synergies with academic units, such as Kinesiology, Sports Medicine, and Health Sciences. This option results in a relocation and increase in size of the future Stadium Neighbourhood housing area, which presents opportunities for additional housing and neighbourhood amenities. Additional development revenue could contribute to the cost of a new stadium and, potentially, result in more Endowment revenue to support UBC’s priorities.
The preliminary cost estimate for this option is $30m for the new stadium, $50m for the Athletics Centre of Excellence and $5m for the new Tennis Bubble.
Some things to consider:
- The long-term athletics program needs are met but in separate facilities
- It results in the loss of Thunderbird Stadium as a heritage building
- It places the future Stadium Road Neighbourhood Area next to existing Hawthorn Place Neighbourhood & UBC Botanical Garden
- It places new stadium and Athletics Centre of Excellence within the Spectator Hub
- It places the new stadium and Athletics Centre of Excellence across the street from existing Hawthorn Place Neighbourhood
- It results in potential for increased housing area and development revenue from moving stadium to contribute to costs of the stadium upgrade