Based on additional technical and financial analysis, two new options are being explored for combining the recreation/fitness and varsity program within the the U-Boulevard area.
In each of these options the Athletics Centre of Excellence program proposed in Thunderbird Stadium Options 1A (on the Tennis Bubble), 2 (on Whit Matthews Field) and 5 (on the Tennis Bubble) would be moved to the U-Boulevard area.
Some things to consider
- The long-term athletics program needs are met within the campus core, next to the new Bus Exchange
- The potential loss of War Memorial Gym as a heritage building, noting that the new building design would honour the important legacy of War Memorial Gym (for example through the retention of the name and other elements of significance)
- High visibility and quality of a new recreation and fitness space
- Sensitive building height and massing relative to adjacent buildings within the U-Boulevard area
- Noise and traffic impacts on adjacent neighbourhood