Compass is a durable, reloadable electronic fare card that replaces TransLink’s paper passes and tickets.
For students at UBC's Vancouver campus, this means your U-Pass BC has been integrated into the Compass Card system and changes the way you get your U-Pass BC benefit every month.
UBC is working with TransLink to ensure a smooth transition.
Get a Compass Card starting August 16th
You can get their Compass Card starting August 16th from any U-Pass BC machine at the following locations:
You are requored to have a valid UBCcard (a student identification card) with you before picking up a Compass Card. You can get a UBCcard by applying online or visitng the Carding Office located in the Bookstore. Your will need to swipe your UBCcard at teh U-Pass machine to receive a Compass Card.
After getting a Compass Card, you will no longer have to pickup a U-Pass BC from the machines each month. All future U-Pass BC interactions will be online.
Linking your Compass Card and U-Pass BC
Your U-Pass BC benefits will continue and can be accessed with a Compass Card. U-Pass BC will continue to be a great value transit option for students with all-zone transit across Metro Vancouver and discounted West Coast Express fares.
Once you have a Compass Card, you will need to link it to a]your U-Pass BC account to use the card as a monthly transit pass:
- Visit upassbc.translink.ca
- Select UBC as your Post-Secondary Institution
- Enter your CWL login and password when redirected to UBC
- Request your U-Pass BC benefit for June (and subsequently for each month)
- Allow up to 24 hours for activation
Since it can take up to 24 hours for your U-Pass BC to load on to your Compass Card, be sure to log in and request your benefit well in advance of September 1st. Don’t get stuck without a transit pass.
Start riding transit with Compass on September 1st
Tap in and tap out every time you enter and exit a bus or station, including when you transfer.
- Students will need to request their U-Pass BC benefit online each month, on or after the 16th, to ride transit in the following month.
- Your Compass-U-Pass BC is not transferable; carry valid student ID with you at all times.
- UBC summer students will receive Compass Cards for free in the initial release.
- Lost cards can be replaced at a cost of $6 from Stadium-Chinatown Station.
- The U-Pass BC program protects your privacy, more information is available online.
Please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for more information about this process.