Eligibility and Exemptions

The U-Pass gives students unlimited access to all of TransLink services, including bus routes, Skytrains, and the SeaBus.

Archived Content

This page has been archived as is no longer being updated. For the most recent information on U-Pass Exemptions, please visit the U-Pass webpage.

Visit U-Pass Webpage


Eligible for a U-Pass BC

Students at UBC's Vancouver campus, Vancouver School of Theology, St. Mark’s/Corpus Christi, Regent College, and UBC Okanagan enrolled in the Cross Campus Registration program are eligible if they are:

  • Registered in full-time or part-time studies with a minimum of three credits, or assessed tuition fees of more than $708/term or $177/month;
  • Fee-paying members of the AMS.

Not Eligible for a U-Pass BC

Students are not eligible if they are:

  • Taking exclusively distance learning or web-based courses AND are not assessed AMS fees (NOTE: in person courses delivered online as web oriented courses due to COVID-19 are NOT considered distance learning)

  • An outgoing exchange student


COVID-19 U-Pass BC Exemptions

Exemption for students living outside of Metro Vancouver*

If you live outside of Metro Vancouver and are taking classes that are not in person on the Vancouver campus in 2021/22 Winter Term 2 (January to April 2022, you may be eligible for an exemption. If you fit this criteria, you must apply for an exemption through the Alma Mater Society (AMS) by February 4, 2022

*Metro Vancouver includes the following regions: Anmore, Belcarra, Bowen Island, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Delta, Langley (City and Township), Lions Bay, Maple Ridge, New Westminster, North Vancouver (City and District), Pitt Meadows Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Richmond, Surrey (including Barnston Island), Tsawwassen First Nation, UBC, University Endowment Lands, Vancouver, West Vancouver, White Rock.  

Financial hardships subsidy form

If you’re studying and living within Metro Vancouver and experiencing financial hardship, you may be eligible for hardship subsidies through the AMS. Applications for financial hardship subsidies must be submitted to the AMS between January 14 and February 18, 2022. 

See main U-Pass page for more information about COVID-19 exemptions and subsidies.

Regular U-Pass BC Exemptions

Students who are being assessed U-Pass BC fees, and who meet one of the following criteria, may apply for an exemption:

  • You hold a valid U-Pass BC from another post-secondary institution within Metro Vancouver.
  • You hold another valid non-transferable transit pass which is valid for each month of the duration of the U-Pass Term (e.g. transit employee subsidiary pass). Please provide a photocopy of the front and back of the pass by the exemption deadline.
  • You are unable to use the U-Pass BC for reasons of a disability
  • You do not live in Metro Vancouver AND do not take classes offered by UBC, VST, St. Mark’s or Regent delivered within Metro Vancouver. (See map of municipalities which are within Metro Vancouver.)

Regular exemption deadline: January 28, 2022.

Please Note: Many courses do not have scheduled classes (e.g. graduate thesis, directed studies, honour’s research projects) and are designated in the registration system as on-campus courses. Exemptions are available only for these types of courses being completed outside Metro Vancouver. Please provide a letter or an email from your Faculty Supervisor by the exemption deadline.

Graduate students applying for an exemption require a letter or an email from their Faculty Advisor/Secretary which confirms that they are completing their work outside Metro Vancouver.

Medical Exemptions

If you have a physical or psychological condition that has been diagnosed by a qualified medical professional and prevents you from using public transit, you must register with the Centre for Accessibility. You will be required to provide medical documentation supporting your claim.

Each term the Centre for Accessibility provides the U-Pass office with a list of registered students and those students are eligible to receive the U-Pass exemption. Please do not forward any personal medical documentation to the U-Pass office.

How do I apply for an exemption?

The online exemption request form for REGULAR EXEMPTIONS is available on the Student Service Centre website.

When is the exemption application deadline?

The exemption application deadline is the same as the withdrawal date without W standing for your courses (approximately 2 weeks after the start of your classes). 

Refunds and Subsidies

Students who have completed their program mid-way through the term are not entitled to full U-Pass privilidges for the remainder of the term and will receive a partial U-Pass refund.

The AMS administers a fund to subsidize the cost of the U-Pass for those students experiencing financial hardship or exceptional circumstances which are not considered eligible for an ‘exemption’. Full and partial subsidies are available. To learn more about eligibility criteria and how to apply, visit the AMS website.


Campus and Community Planning is not able to assist with any technical difficulties or student inquiries.

For questions related to subsidies and COVID-related exemptions, please visit the AMS website.

For other questions regarding U-Pass fee assessments, please contact one of our Enrolment Services Advisors at 604-822-9836 or via email through the Ask Me form by clicking the button below:

Email via the Ask Me form