NOTE: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Guidelines for filming July 1, 2020 to September 1, 2020
In-person events, both indoor and outdoor, may be permitted, with the approval of the relevant Dean, VP or designate, if the following criteria are met. These criteria apply to all on-campus and off-campus in-person events, for all UBC campuses and sites, and includes those organized by students, faculty, staff and alumni. This is in effect from July 1 to September 1, 2020.
In-person events may be permitted if:
A) An event lead can answer ‘yes’ to the following three questions:
- Is it endorsed by the overseeing Dean, VP or designate?
- Is this a one-time, episodic occurrence?
- Does the event fall into a category either permitted under the current phase under the Province’s Restart plan (e.g. recreation) or not otherwise specifically addressed by the province in any phase?
C) VANCOUVER CAMPUS-LED EVENT: the COVID-19 operational and safety plan has been reviewed by the UBC COVID-19 Safety Planning Steering Committee and Executive, where considered high-risk.
or OKANAGAN CAMPUS-LED EVENT: a COVID-19 safety plan has been prepared for the event that is consistent with the event venue/category COVID-19 Safety Plan or approved by the COVID 19 Resumption Planning and Coordination Committee.
Locations at UBC
Most buildings owned and operated by UBC are available for filming. Availability depends on programming occurring within the building and scheduled activity taking place on campus.
Here is a listing of our locations:
- Both University of British Columbia campuses (Vancouver and Okanagan)
- UBC Robson Square
- Malcolm Knapp Research Forest in Maple Ridge
- UBC Boathouse in Richmond
Buildings not owned and operated by UBC must be contacted directly to obtain approval. These buildings include: TRIUMF, BC Research, UBC Hospital, Vancouver School of Theology, TEF3, and Don Rix Building.
The commercial filming location fee is $2,500 per shoot day and $1,250 per prep/wrap day. Commercial photography rates are $1,250 per day.
Location fees are waived for bona fide student class productions. Students are required to pay all the other applicable fees such as parking, security, plant operations, building rentals, etc.
Other fees include:
- Parking: $1.25 per linear foot; $20.00 per day per parking space.
- Security/Liaison: up to $75 per hour. At least one security person or department liaison is required during filming.
- Building Operations: hourly rate for personnel for HVAC shutdown, electricians, movement of UBC property such as furniture, etc.
- Facility Rental Fees: additional contracts and room rental fees may apply.
- Other fees may apply depending on location and filming requirements.
- For further information on filming, visit Filming Guidelines.
- For news footage, press conferences or news related interviews with UBC staff please contact Media Relations.
- For students requesting to film at UBC for class projects, visit Student Filming.
- For drones and drone filming, visit Drones and Drone Filming.
Contact the Film & Events Office: