- Requests for filming must normally be submitted at least 15 business days in advance of prep day.
- A complete script must be submitted for approval prior to the technical survey to ensure that the content does not damage the reputation or image of the university. For commercials and documentaries, a storyboard and detailed outline must be provided.
- Filming must be minimal disruption to university programming and activities, as well as to the campus community.
- Only the UBC Contract for Filming or Contract for Photography will be entered into and signed by UBC.
- The Film & Events Office has the right to refuse any request for filming or photography on UBC property.
- The producer is encouraged to involve students from the UBC Department of Theatre & Film as observers while filming is occurring on campus.
- UBC's anonymity must be maintained during any photo session and filming of all productions, including promotion and credits, unless prior written approval or requested by UBC for documentaries and educational productions.
- No major set construction or alteration of buildings will be permitted.
- All areas used by productions must be returned to their normal condition.
- Filming on campus should be conducted in a sustainable manner. See UBC Sustainability Guidelines for Filming.
Locations at UBC
Most buildings owned and operated by UBC are available for filming. Availability depends on programming occurring within the building and scheduled activity taking place on campus.
Here is a listing of UBC locations:
- Both University of British Columbia campuses (Vancouver and Okanagan)
- UBC Robson Square
- Malcolm Knapp Research Forest in Maple Ridge
- UBC Boathouse in Richmond
Buildings not owned and operated by UBC must be contacted directly to obtain approval. These buildings include, but not limited to: TRIUMF, BC Research, UBC Hospital, Vancouver School of Theology, TEF3, and Don Rix Building.
The permit fee for commercial filming will be $3,000 per shoot day and $1,500 per prep/wrap day. Commercial photography rates will be $1,500 per day. Non-commercial rates are determined based on the production.
Permit fees are waived for bona fide student class productions. Students are required to pay all the other applicable fees such as Parking, Security, Building Operations, facility rentals, etc.
Other fees include:
- Parking: $1.25 per linear foot; $20.00 per day per parking space.
- Security/Liaison: hourly rate for personnel. At least one UBC Film Liaison, security person, or department liaison is required during filming.
- Building Operations: hourly rate for personnel for HVAC shutdown, electricians, movement of UBC property such as furniture, etc.
- Facility Rental Fees: additional contracts and room rental fees may apply.
- Other fees may apply depending on location and filming requirements.
For news footage, press conferences or news related interviews with UBC staff please contact Media Relations.
Contact the Film & Events Office: