With the Try an E-bike program, current UBC staff and faculty are eligible for a free e-bike rental at local bike shops. Even if you don’t participate in the trial you are eligible for discounts when purchasing an e-bike.
E-biking is a healthy and sustainable way to get around. People who own e-bikes replace car trips with e-bike trips more often than their pedal-power peers. Plus, the Try an E-bike Program supports UBC’s sustainable transportation goals!
Who is eligible?
All current UBC faculty and staff
How does the program work?
- Complete the online registration. A confirmation email will be sent to you. Print it out or keep the email on your phone.
- Read the Purchasing Guide
and choose a participating bike shop near you. Call ahead to schedule your free rental.
Bring your UBC staff card and confirmation email (on your phone is fine) to the bike shop when you pick up your rental.
How long can I rent a bike for?
The free rental is for 24 hours minimum and you are eligible for one free rental per shop. Ask the shop when to return the e-bike. You may be required to pay a refundable security deposit as you would with other bike rentals.
When can I rent a bike?
The program runs from June to November 2019. Free rentals are limited, so don’t delay.
Participating Bike Shops
- Comor Sports 1787 W 4th Ave, Vancouver | (604) 736-7547
- EBike BC 128-2323 Boundary Rd, Vancouver | (604) 423-3381
- JV Bike 929 Expo Blvd, Vancouver | (604) 630-3798
- Ohm Cycles 930 Harbourside Dr #103, North Vancouver | (604) 770 2600
- Pedego Electric Bikes 2774 W 4th Ave, Vancouver | (604) 620-5612
- Reckless Electric 1357 Hornby St, Vancouver | (604) 669-8311
Did you know you can convert an existing bike into an e-bike? The program’s e-bike purchasing guide
For more information about e-bikes read Grin Technologies E-bike Basics Guide. It’s a comprehensive guide on e-bikes written by Adam Burvill, an UBC alumni.
New to cycling to campus? Check out the participant guide for information on planning your route, locking your bike at UBC, and other cycling resources.