Business Licenses

Business licenses are required for any person(s) to conduct a commercial or home based business in the local area neighborhoods as identified in the Land Use Plan.

Dough girls
Doughgirls Bakeshop in Wesbrook Village


The UBC neighbourhoods in which you need a business license are:

  • Chancellor Place
  • University Boulevard
  • East Campus
  • Hawthorn Place
  • Wesbrook Place
  • Hampton Place 

Types of Businesses

There are two types of commercial enterprises that fall under this category: 

  1. General Commercial Businesses are defined by any commercially oriented business or organization.
  2. Home Based Businesses are defined as a craft or occupation conducted as an accessory use subordinate to the principal residential use of a dwelling unit (resident), and must only be conducted within the principal building on the site.

Application Forms

Download Commercial Business License Application form

Download Home Based Business License Application form

Reference Materials