What is the U-Pass Program?
The U-Pass BC program provides students with universal, accessible and affordable access to public transit across the Metro Vancouver Region.
The U-Pass BC program costs $164 per academic term or $41.00 per month (subject to change) and is mandatory for all members of UBC's Alma Mater Society (AMS), excluding students who are enrolled in strictly distance education courses. The cost is included as part of your AMS student fees. Students have voted in a referendum to keep the U-Pass program and in 2019, ninety five percents of the students have elected to participate in the UPass program.
Getting a Compass Card
Compass Cards can be purchased for $6 from TransLink’s FareDealers (including the Access Desk and cashiers at the UBC Bookstore). For a list of TransLink’s retailers, please refer to their website.
If you’re already using an adult-class Compass Card as a retail customer, you can load the U-Pass onto your card.
Requesting Your Monthly U-Pass Benefit
For each month that you are eligible for a U-Pass you will need to make a request online to link your U-Pass and Compass Card. You can make the request anytime on or after the 16th of each month to ensure you can ride transit the following month. Set yourself a reminder - on your phone, in your diary. You can complete the request using a smartphone, tablet, or desktop computer.
Steps to request your monthly pass:
- Visit upassbc.translink.ca
- Select UBC as your Post-Secondary Institution
- Enter your CWL login and password when redirected to UBC
- Link your Compass Card if prompted, request your U-Pass BC benefit
- Allow up to 24 hours for activation
It can take up to 24 hours for your U-Pass BC to load on to your Compass Card. Be sure to log in and request your benefit well in advance of the start to each month. Don’t get stuck without a transit pass.
Using Your Compass Card
Riding transit with your Compass Card is easy: tap in when entering a bus or tap in and tap out when you are entering and leaving a Skytrain station through a fare gate. Card readers are located at all SkyTrain, Canada Line, and SeaBus fare gates, near bus doors, and at the entry and exit points to West Coast Express stations.
Your Compass Card must be tapped in to be considered a valid proof of payment.
- Your Compass-U-Pass BC is not transferable. You must also carry a valid student ID (your UBC student ID card must be valid for the full term) with you at all times when riding transit.
- The U-Pass BC program protects your privacy, more information is available online.
- TransLink has created a videos and a guide on how to use your Compass Card. Visit the Compass Card website for more information.
- You will not be eligible for a U-Pass BC benefit if your UBC student card is expired (check the expiry date on the back of your card). Expired cards can be replaced at ubccard.ubc.ca.
Campus and Community Planning is not able to assist students with any technical difficulties related to U-Pass/Compass Card.
Please contact an Enrolment Service Advisor at 604-822-9836
(business hours are 9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except Tuesday 10 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
Or email an Enrolment Service Advisor through the Ask Me form: