Outdoor Events

The Film & Events Office is responsible for managing and approving all outdoor event requests at UBC.
Campus events

Want to book an outdoor space at UBC? Or want to know how to book indoor space at UBC? 

Or do you need more information on events with alcohol? Holding a sustainable event? Serving food at your event? Holding a more accessible and inclusive event? – check out Forms and Policies for all this information and more.

Applications must be submitted

  • a minimum of 15 business days in advance of event setup if the event has minimal impact to campus such as standard boothing.


  • a minimum of 45 business days in advance of event setup if alcohol is being served at the event. 


  • a minimum of six (6) months in advance of event setup if the event has a high impact to campus . This includes including road closures, disruption to the academic core, use of multiple areas, etc. A traffic management plan for events involving road closures and traffic controls must be submitted a minimum of 30 business days prior to event setup.


Outdoor Event Booking Process

Follow these simple steps when booking an outdoor event at UBC.

Use the following map(s) to determine the location of your event and include this in your outdoor event booking request. If you are unsure of a location, please contact the Film & Events Office.

The Film & Events Office reserves the right to change the requested location.

You can find downloadable UBC base and wayfinding maps here

Submit an Outdoor Event Booking Request, and include the event location (site map), Event Risk Management Form and all other pertinent event details. An Event Risk Management Form is required for all events that fall within the form's requirements. Outdoor event booking requests may be delayed if a complete form is not received.

Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Late applications may not be approved. You can view the estimated response time to your application by visiting the Outdoor Event Booking Request page.

  • A traffic management plan (TMP) for events involving road closures and traffic controls must be submitted a minimum of 3 months in advance of event setup.

If serving food or alcohol at your event, please be aware of these additional requirements in the sections below:

The following policy must be reviewed and  must be signed and submitted to the Film & Events Office a minimum of 45 business days in advance of event set-up when alcohol is being served:

  • Review UBC's Policy SC9: Serving and Consumption of Alcohol at University Facilities and Events
  • Event organizers must request a Special Event Permit from the Liquor & Cannabis Regulation Branch.

UBC requires the following forms when requesting an event with alcohol:

  1. UBC Alcohol Request Form 
  2. Event Safety and Emergency Response Plan for events over 100 people.  If alcohol is being served by a licensed caterer, the Catered Event Safety and Security Plan from the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch is required. 

Event planners should use UBC Sustainability's green event planning tips to produce a zero-waste event.

Event organizers should use the Equity and Inclusion Office's Accessible and Inclusive Event Planning guide when planning an event.  

What happens after I submit my outdoor event booking request?

After your online outdoor event booking request is received, the Film & Events Office will complete the following:

Confirmation will be provided once the appropriate stakeholders are consulted. There can be no conflicts with university operations or with use of the proposed space and there must be limited disruption to the campus community. Priority will be given to events that support core academic/educational activities.

The Film & Events Office will examine the events’ risks to ensure compliance. UBC will only impose limitations as may be necessary to ensure that the University’s activities, as well as the safety and security of persons and facilities, are not compromised.

If the event exceeds 100 attendees and/or alcohol is being served, additional risks will be reviewed to ensure a safe event. 

At the discretion of the Film & Events Office, a site visit might be required to assess additional risks.

A Short Term Outdoor Rental Agreement is required for all outdoor events, and will be delivered to the event organizer by email who must read and understand the terms and conditions outlined in this agreement.  A permit fee is charged commensurate with the type of event and is in addition to other fees that may apply.

Final approval is provided once the Film & Events Office receives the countersigned Short-Term Rental Agreement, payment and event insurance.

Event insurance as follows:

  1. UBC sanctioned event and/or part of the University's curriculum or mandate - covered by UBC's insurance policy.
  2. AMS sanctioned student club or student constituency event - covered by AMS's insurance policy. Receipt of the Agreement signed by the AMS VP Finance or AMS VP Admin must be received in order for the insurance to apply.
  3. Other UBC club/teams that are a part of an academic program - covered under the UBC insurance. 
  4. UBC student, staff or faculty events that are not a sanctioned event or part of the University’s mandate/curriculum, and third party events - insurance certificate of $5 million is required, with University of British Columbia named as additional insured.  

Final approval for the serving of food will be provided by Vancouver Coastal Health.

Final approval for the serving of alcohol will be provided by the RCMP - UBC Detachment. For events that exceed 100 persons, approval from Vancouver Fire & Rescue Services - UBC Detachment will also be required. The Film & Events Office will work with the regulatory bodies for approvals. 

Access relevant event Forms and Policies

Submit an Outdoor Event Application

If you can’t find what you are looking for – contact us!

Contact Us

Contact the Film & Events Office at outdoor.events@ubc.ca.