Bike to Work Week
Fall Bike to Work Week presented by MEC offers a ‘hybrid’ of physical and online activations and is happening a month earlier in 2020. It takes place September 28 to October 4, 2020.
The event will include:
- Over 25 carefully curated Knowledge HUBs (previously ‘celebration stations’) across Metro Vancouver encouraging residents to ‘go by bike’ this late summer/fall.
- Online activations including webinars, online classes, livestream Q&As, Scavenger Hunts, and short video clips to view later
- A ‘Ride Hour’ challenge (an evolution of the ‘rush hour challenge’)
- Our teams have been extended to include households, families, and friends.
- As always, lots of great prizes including a cycling trip for 2 to Portugal (with flexible T&Cs for booking and travel) and incentives to go by bike this fall!
Since 2007, Bike to Work Week has motivated 130,000 participants to cycle their daily commute including 20,000 new cyclists.
- Enter into prize draws and the overall grand prize
- Logged trips help us work with local leaders to improve cycling conditions
- Challenge others and be in with a chance of becoming an award-winning team
- Remember that all trips count!
Please note: In-person activations subject to change at short notice due to COVID-19.
Learn about Bike to Work (and School) Week (TBA Fall 2020)
Bike to Work (and School) Week is a great way to get healthy, energized at work, and reduce your carbon footprint. You can also win prizes and help UBC defend its place as regional champion for Best Workplace 1000+ and Best in Higher Education!
Participating is free, quick and easy:
- Register online with HUB
- Choose your workplace – “University of British Columbia-UBC” – then join a team or create your own.
- Map your route to work.
- Log your route with HUB each day you ride
If you already registered in a previous Bike to Work (and School) Week, simply log in and log a trip during the celebration dates to be considered a participant. Encourage your colleagues and friends to join your team! Logging trips is easy and will track your kilometres cycled, emissions saved and calories burned.
If you are a seasoned cyclist, perhaps it’s time to think about your bragging rights? We need competitive riders to help UBC defend our champion status.
NEW IN 2019: Win a trophy for the team with the highest number of trips/rider, with teams over 10 riders. Congratulations to MSL, the winning department for Spring 2019.
Great reasons to participate:
- Feel energized
- Save money
- Get to where you're going faster
- Enter to win prizes (including new bikes, and even a free trip)
Every Bike To Work Week has a Celebration Station so you can celebrate with your fellow cyclists. It's a great event to treat your bike to a free tune-up, pick up some bike resources, and enter for the chance to win cool prizes like a bike lock. Plus, you can register your bike with Project 529, making it easier to recover if it goes missing.
Put Your Bike on the Bus like a Pro!
Have you ever struggled to get your bike on the bus? We're here to help! Watch this video to learn some helpful hints and tips to get your bike on the bus—stress free!
UBC BTWW Results and Hall of Fame
During the Fall Bike to Work (and School) Week, 426 UBC cyclists on 75 teams covered more than 27,600 kilometres on their commutes, saving nearly 6,000 kg of greenhouse gases from entering the atmosphere. Congratulations to all of our participants! Read about the Fall Bike to Work (and School) Week.