Get ready for Bike to Work (+ School) Week, Oct. 29 to Nov. 4, 2018
Here at UBC, biking year-round is easy to do. And there's no better time to start than Bike to Work Week! Join your cycling colleagues on the roads and start your day with a smile. Register and log your rides at btww.ca.
About Bike to Work Week
Bike to Work Week is a great way to get healthy, active and energized at work, and reduce your carbon footprint. You can also win prizes and help UBC defend its place as regional champion for Best Workplace 1000+ and Best in Higher Education!
Top five reasons to participate:
- Feel great
- Save money
- Get to where you're going faster
- Enter to win prizes (including new bikes, and even a cycling tour in Italy)
- Defend UBC’s Champion status
Participating is free, quick and easy:
- Register online with HUB (the sooner, the better)
- Choose your workplace – “University of British Columbia-UBC” – then join a team or create your own.
- Map your route to work.
- Log your route with HUB each day you ride
If you already registered in a previous Bike to Work Week, simply log in and log a trip to be considered a fall participant. Encourage your colleagues and friends to join your team! Logging trips is easy and will track your kilometres cycled, emissions saved and calories burned.
If you are a seasoned cyclist, perhaps it’s time to think about your bragging rights? We need competitive riders to help UBC defend our champion status.
UBC Celebration Stations
Tuesday, October 30, 4:00-6:00 pm
Lee Square, by the UBC Bookstore [map]
Stop by the our Celebration Station for bike-friendly fun and enter to win prizes.
- Free tune-ups by The Bike Kitchen
- TransLink bike racks to practice putting your bike on the bus
- Register your bike for free with Project 529, an anti-theft bike program and recovery service
- Bike lock demos by UBC Campus Security
- Cycling route maps
- Free coffee and snacks from UBC Food Services and HUB
- Enter to win great prizes
- CiTR providing music
- Learn about UBC's new campus bike share program
Friday, November 2, 7:00-9:30 am
University Chapel, north side of University Blvd
Stop by on your morning ride for coffee, snacks, bike maintenance and the chance to win prizes.
Meet Your Cycling Colleagues
Leading up to Bike to Work Week (BTWW), we asked members of our campus community five questions about their experiences riding to UBC. Explore their stories, what it takes and what they’ve learned along the way!
Putting Your Bike on the Bus like a Pro
Have you ever struggled to get your bike on the bus? We're here to help! Watch this video to learn some helpful hints and tips to get your bike on the bus -- stress free!
Tips for Year-Round Riding
Riding year-round is possible at UBC, with a little preparation and thought. Here are five tips to make your commute enjoyable.
- Plan your route in advance
- Dress for the weather
- Be visible
- Use UBC’s secure bike lockers or bike cages
- Keep a change of clothes at work
For more suggestions and resources, click here.
UBC BTWW Results and Hall of Fame
During Spring 2018 Bike to Work Week, 497 UBC cyclists on 81 teams covered more than 36,000 kilometres on their commutes, saving 7,800 kg of greenhouse gases from entering the atmosphere. Congratulations to all of our participants! Read more.
Log your rides during Fall 2018 Bike to Work Week to keep up the momentum!
Help Promote BTWW
Help us spread the word about #UBC #BTWW!
- Download the poster and display in your unit
- Email your colleagues and encourage them to sign up
- Share the news about BTWW on your social channels! Use the sample tweets below or create your own.
Join your #UBC colleagues for fall Bike to Work Week #btww Oct 29 – Nov 4. https://bit.ly/2xSetVm
#UBC Bike to Work Week is Oct 29 - Nov 4! Register. Ride safe. Ride often. https://bit.ly/2xSetVm
Register now for #UBC Bike to Work Week, Oct 29 –Nov 4. https://bit.ly/2xSetVm
Celebrate Bike to Work Week. Join a #UBC team. Log your rides. Oct 29 – Nov. 4 https://bit.ly/2xSetVm
Cycling to #UBC year-round is easy. Join your colleagues Oct 29 – Nov 4 https://bit.ly/2xSetVm
UBC & @WeAreHub Bike to Work Week Celebration Station on Oct 30, 4-6pm. Free tune-ups from @UBCbike, register your bike with @Project529, music by @CiTRradio, snacks by @UBCfoodie, prizes and more. https://bit.ly/2xSetVm
Drop by the Bike to Work Week Celebration on Oct 30, 4-6pm. Presented by @WeAreHub with free tune-ups from @UBCbike, register your bike with @Project529, music by @CiTRradio, snacks by @UBCfoodie, prizes and more. https://bit.ly/2xSetVm