The standard location fee, damage deposit and insurance requirements will be waived for bona fide students. Building rental fees, parking, security and technical labour, as required, will still apply.
Only UBC Student filming will continue to be considered but must follow the health guidelines for COVID-19. For information, click here. Filming activity has been cancelled to May 30th.
- Contact the Film & Events Office 15 days in advance of proposed filming.
- Submit a completed Student Request for Filming form, along with full script and scope of work.
- Written approvals from department locations and any other pertinent communications/information should be provided or copied to the contact.
- A walk through with the Film & Events Office and department involved must be conducted in advance of filming. This will provide the student an opportunity to ask questions and discuss any parameters involved with filming at the desired location.
- Locations should be finalized and written permissions obtained at least 5 business days prior to filming. If required, a letter of authorization for filming will be provided. University procedures indicate that UBC will not sign any third-party agreements, contracts, waivers, or release forms.
- Carry your Student ID Card with you at all times while filming.
- A minimum 48 hours’ notice of cancellation must be provided to the Film & Events Office and, if applicable, the department liaison. Failure to provide cancellation notice will result in a charge of $50.00 and applicable taxes.
- If the film is an independent production and not a class production, a detailed outline and concept must be provided. Standard commercial fees will be charged.
Exterior filming may be permitted as long as access to buildings are not impeded in any manner and there is no disruption to classes and University operations. Permission must also be obtained from the building occupants to ensure there is no conflict when filming exteriors.
Determine locations in advance (minimum 10 business days) in order to ensure availability. Dates and times must be specified. Many buildings will require a user rental fee. Permission must be obtained from the occupants of the buildings that you wish to film.
Buildings not managed or operated by UBC require separate permission for filming both exterior or interior. These buildings include but are not limited to:
- UBC Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health)
- NRC Institute for Machinery Research
- BC Research Inc.
Approvals for filming in the University Endowment Lands (UEL), east of Wesbrook Mall, and Pacific Spirit Regional Park must be obtained from the UEL.
Roads and Walkways
Vehicular and pedestrian traffic must not be impeded. Permission must be obtained in advance for the use of filming roadways.
If intermittent traffic control is being repeated, a detailed traffic management plan must be submitted for approval at least 10 business days prior to filming. Maximum lock-up is 5 minutes at a time and only while camera is rolling. If permission is granted only UBC Parking Officers or individuals licensed to perform traffic control are permitted to stop and/or regulate traffic. Proof of license must be provided by individuals.
Use of Marine Drive, West 16th, Chancellor Boulevard and other roads outside of UBC are managed by the Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure. Please contact the Ministry directly for filming on those roads.
Stunts and/or special effects may be denied while filming on the campus depending on risk to the University. The instructor must be on set when conducting stunts and/or special effects. In some instances, professional stunt and/or special effects coordinators may be required to also be on set.