Use of drones and drone filming on the UBC campus and neighbourhood lands should follow Transport Canada's guidelines.
Drone filming for commercial and research purposes requires a permit from Transport Canada.
Aircraft over 35kg - a permit must be obtained from Transport Canada
Aircraft under 35kg - a permit is not required but the following guidelines must be followed:
- Drones must not fly higher than 90 meters above the ground
- Drones should not be flown over the public or moving vehicles
- Drones must not be flown closer than 75 meters to private residents, student residents, animals, vehicles or other buildings/structures
- Drones must not be flown within 9km of a forest fire
- Drones must not be flown where it could interfere with police or first responders
- Drones must not be flown at night or in clouds
- Drowns must be kept in sight at all times
- A safety perimeter should be established when filming with drones
- Filming of students, faculty and staff for personal use and/or posting to social media is not permitted without the individual's prior written approval
Drone filming for commercial, documentary, educational and research purposes, and student class productions must obtain approval from Community Development. Please contact Arlene Chan, Events & Film Manager, at email@example.com