These upgrades will result in:
- A new roundabout replacing the existing intersection of Wesbrook Mall and Chancellor Boulevard.
- Pedestrian crossings across all sides of the intersection.
- A continuous bike lane in the southbound direction.
- An improved condition for cyclists in the northbound direction.
The project is mostly complete and both Wesbrook Mall and Chancellor Boulevard are now open. Landscape work and outstanding repair items still need to be done, which will result in a few more closures. These road closures are as follows:
- Chancellor Blvd westbound west of Wesbrook Mall will be closed on Tuesday, September 20th through Friday, September 23rd from 9am to 6pm. Detour routes will be displayed on-site.
- Chancellor Blvd eastbound and westbound east of Wesbrook Mall will be closed on Saturday, September 17th from 9am to 5pm. Detour routes will be displayed on-site.
The Wesbrook Mall improvements focus on the bus, pedestrian and cyclist environment in order to help create a positive arrival experience to campus for the more sustainable modes of transportation. The first two phases are now complete and provide improved pedestrian facilities, fully repaved roadways, and new, separated, bike lanes for cyclists. New dedicated bus lanes are also in place to provide priority for those taking transit to and from UBC.
These planned improvements were informed by two phases of public consultation done in 2015 to guide planning for the larger U Boulevard Area. The improvements to the Wesbrook Mall corridor are being done in collaboration with the University Endowment Lands, the University Neighbourhoods Association, TransLink, Metro Vancouver and Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.
Visit the Constructions and Roadwork Updates page to learn more about other construction projects in the area.
Contact Simmi Puri, Communications Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.