The first phase of the Wesbrook Mall Upgrades was completed in 2019 and the second phase of construction between Thunderbird Boulevard and University Boulevard will start on May 4, 2020. The scope of Phase 2, and future phases are shown in the image below.
These planned improvements were informed by two phases of public consultation done in 2015 as part of the planning for the U Boulevard Area. The improvements to the Wesbrook Mall corridor are being done in collaboration with the University Endowment Lands, the University Neighbourhoods Association, TransLink, and Metro Vancouver.
Phase 2 of the upgrades runs from University Boulevard to Thunderbird Boulevard and will focus on the bus, pedestrian, and cyclist environment to provide users with a more positive experience along the corridor and promote sustainable travel modes.
The existing travel lanes will be fully rebuilt to create two travel lanes for general purpose traffic and two travel lanes for buses only. In addition, dedicated bike facilities will be built and lighting along the corridor will be improved. At Agronomy Road, the channelized right turn lanes on the west side of the intersection will be removed, which will significantly improve the safety for pedestrians and cyclists at that intersection.
Guiding Principles During Construction
The guiding principles that will be followed during construction are as follows:
- Two-way traffic will always be maintained along Wesbrook Mall.
- Access to driveways will be maintained with only short, planned disruptions.
- Left turn movements along Wesbrook Mall will be limited during construction.
- Impacts to pedestrians and cyclists crossing Wesbrook Mall will be minimized and accommodated for as long as it is safe to do so.
- Bus stops within the project will need to be closed for safety as required, but reopened as soon as possible.
Construction Schedule and Potential Impacts
Construction of Phase 2 will be broken up into four stages, which are detailed below:
May 4 – June 15: Outside Northbound Lane of Wesbrook Mall
- Work in Stage 1 of construction is in the outside northbound lane along Wesbrook Mall, i.e. the far east lane on Wesbrook Mall.
June 15 – July 13: Outside Southbound Lane of Wesbrook Mall
- Work in Stage 2 of construction is in the outside southbound lane along Wesbrook Mall, i.e. the far west lane on Wesbrook Mall.
July 13 – August 17: Inside Northbound Lane of Wesbrook Mall
- Work in stage 3 of construction is in the inside northbound travel lane and centre median along Wesbrook Mall.
August 17 – September 21: Inside Southbound Lane of Wesbrook Mall
- Work in stage 4 of construction is in the inside southbound travel lane and centre median along Wesbrook Mall.
Construction and detour updates will be posted for each stage of construction. See Construction and Transit Updates for more information.
Contact Aviva Savelson, Senior Manager, Public Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604 822-0273
Wesbrook Mall Upgrades - Phase 2 Timeline
2015 U Boulevard Area Consultation
2 phases of public consultation were done in 2015 that informed the current upgrades to Wesbrook Mall.
Phase 1 of construction completed
Phase 1 of upgrades completed between Student Union Boulevard and University Boulevard.
May 4 - June 8, 2020
Stage 1 of construction
Work in the first stage will be done in the outside northbound lane of Wesbrook Mall.
June 8 - July 13, 2020
Stage 2 of construction
Work in the second stage will be done in the outside southbound lane of Wesbrook Mall.
July 13 - August 17, 2020
Stage 3 of construction
Work in the third stage will be done in the inside northbound lane of Wesbrook Mall.
August 17 - September 21, 2020
Stage 4 of construction
Work during the fourth and final stage will be done on the inside southbound lane of Wesbrook Mall.